Wilson Set for Hockeyroos Debut
Hockey | Published:
Wed 17 May 2017
WA hockey product Georgia Wilson is set to make her debut with the Hockeyroos after earning selection for the up-coming World League Semi-Final squad.
Wilson was drafted into the Australian national squad earlier in the year and has been training with the senior team since. Hockey Australia today announced its 18 member squad for the June 21- July 2 campaign in Belgium, with Wilson set to join fellow West Aussie Kathryn Slattery in the touring group.
The Mahogany Creek resident who celebrates her 21st birthday on Saturday received an early present when her name was included on the selector’s list for the tournament that will determine whether Paul Gaudoin’s Hockeyroos will compete at this year’s World League Final.
The World League Semi-Final holds broader ramifications, with a position at the 2018 World Cup also up for grabs. A top three position will secure Australia a berth at the World League Final in New Zealand this November, whilst a top five ranking will be good enough to ensure Australia is in the hat for the quadrennial tournament held in London next July.
Speaking on the make-up of his tour squad, Gaudoin said it was encouraging to have experienced campaigners returning to complement the addition of youthful exuberance.
"The team we have taking part in the World League Semi-Final sees the return of some senior players who have been out of the squad so far this year due to injury.
"Their return will add some depth to our defensive line, and along with the debut of Georgia Wilson we should see some interesting new dynamics within the team.
Wilson is set for a stern assignment on debut, with her first outing likely to come ahead of the tournament when the Hockeyroos match up against international heavyweights, the Netherlands.
"We’ll be looking to implement some of the learnings we made from the Hawke’s Bay Cup in New Zealand earlier this year, and having a couple of practice matches in Holland prior to the Semi-Final should ensure we’re match ready,” Gaudoin said.
Hockeyroos World League Semi-Final Squad:
- Jocelyn Bartram (Albury, NSW)
- Edwina Bone (Orange, NSW) *plays for ACT
- Jane Claxton (Adelaide, SA)
- Jacqui Day (Mountain Creek, QLD)
- Madison Fitzpatrick (Cabarita Beach, NSW) *plays for QLD
- Jordyn Holzberger (Ipswich, QLD)
- Stephanie Kershaw (Townsville, QLD)
- Rachael Lynch (Melbourne, VIC)
- Karri McMahon (Berri, SA)
- Georgina Morgan (Armidale, NSW)
- Gabrielle Nance (Kingscliff, NSW) *plays for SA
- Georgia Nanscawen (Melbourne, VIC)
- Madeleine Ratcliffe (Warnambool, VIC)
- Kathryn Slattery (South Stirling, WA)
- Emily Smith (Crookwell, NSW)
- Renee Taylor (Everton Park, QLD)
- Mariah Williams (Parkes, NSW)
- Georgia Wilson (Mahogany Creek, WA)